Coombe Fisheries, Barnstaple, one of the southwest’s largest fish processing and exporting businesses needed to double its capacity for processing, packing, freezing and storing. The company exports approximately 75% of its production and freezing and storing stock are an essential processing requirement. Produce is predominantly shellfish focusing on scallops, whelks and a range of cephalopods destined for consumption throughout Europe.
High-performance refrigeration equipment is housed in a £4 million; 21,000 square foot purpose-built extension serving newly installed facilities. These include a holding freezer (-20°C), a 157m3 blast freezer (-25°C), two separate 262m3 blast freezers (-25°C), a Helix Spiral Freezer, Hybrid Tunnel & Contact Freezer and a HT Finishing Freezer (all -40°C).
Working with KJ Refrigeration a plant schedule was created, consisting of:
- A twin installation of two Zanotti vertical discharge external housed condensing units to service the holding freezer
- A single Zanotti vertical discharge condensing unit to service the 1600m3 packing area
- Two twin semi hermetic screw packs to service the two 262m3 blast freezers with a combined duty of 230Kw
- Two twin semi hermetic screw compressor packs externally housed, with economisers and sub coolers, including receiver, control panel and weatherproof housing to service the Spiral Freezer and Contact Freezer (Crust freezer)
- Inverter compressors were specified to ensure cost-efficiency through energy consumption and speed of response to production requirement
Coombe fisheries new production line showing (right) the spiral freezer equipment.
One of two, Hubbard Products twin semi-hermetic screw compressor packs supplying refrigeration to a pair of 262m3 blast freezers.